Me and Rob

Me and Rob

Friday, November 5, 2010

Dress down days

Working in Louisiana has taught me different things. Things I never would have learned staying on California. Some good, some not so good, and some that are irrelevant. My musings today center around uniforms in grade schools and dress down days.
Most of the schools here- public, charter, and religious- require uniforms be worn every day with the occasional dress down day on which you can wear "street clothes". Now most of these days are set and scheduled at the begining of the school year, however there are some that crop up at a moments notice (well, usually a weeks notice) and they are used as fundraiser or to gather supplies. i.e., a teacher was diagnosed with cancer and to help with treatment payments children could donate money in order to wear street clothes that day.
Ok. So here is my query. Weren't uniforms originally introduced to help reduce dealing with dress code violations and to create a feeling if equality (not that I agree with the theory- because I don't.)? So kids couldn't tell by clothing who was rich and who was stuck wearing hand me downs from the previous years right? Doesn't it make it painfully obvious who can afford new clothes and who can't when they are required to donate cash in order to dress down??? When you walk into a classroom on one of the fundraising dress down days and see, in a class of 25, only 3 students in their uniforms what is the first assumption that comes to mind?
I really have nothing to say to "fix" this, it was just one of my musings during my day. Feel free to comment if you have an opinion on the matter.

Have a fabulous day!!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.4

No comments: